Last Updated: September 2018
Prudential (“we” or “us”) respects your privacy, and we are committed to protecting it. This Online Privacy Statement explains how we may collect, use, share and retain information about you and about the choices you have when you:
- Visit our websites (“Websites”)
- Receive or reply to email or other electronic communications from us
- View or click on our ads or other Prudential online content
- Interact with us on social media or websites and applications maintained by other parties
- Use our software applications (“Apps”) on or through computers and mobile devices
Online Services Covered by this Online Privacy Statement
This Online Privacy Statement describes our practices in connection with information we collect through Prudential.com, other Prudential websites and Apps that link to this Online Privacy Statement, and online communications that contain a link to this statement (collectively “Online Services”)
Other websites and services of Prudential may contain different privacy statements to this Online Privacy Statement and you are advised to review the privacy statement of each Prudential website.
By using these Online Services, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Online Privacy Statement.
These Online Services are controlled and operated by Prudential from the United States and are intended for use by residents of the United States. They are not intended to subject Prudential to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. If you are using these Online Services from outside the United States, they may not necessarily be consistent with the laws and regulations of your home country.
We may ask you to provide certain personal information about you or that may be used to personally identify you or to contact you. For example, you may provide us with general identification and account information such as your name, telephone number, policy or account number, mailing address, email address, or date of birth when you:
- Request a quote for insurance;
- Request that a Prudential representative contact you;
- Register for a service;
- Instruct us to perform a transaction;
- Fill out an online survey or form;
- Register for online access to access your account; or
- Download, link to or use our mobile apps or those maintained by a third party
You may also provide us with your financial information and goals when you use certain services, features, and tools on our Online Services.
We may also collect your personal information from other sources, such as publicly available databases, providers of demographic information, and social media platforms.
We need to collect personal information to provide services to you. If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide the services. If you disclose any personal information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with the Websites, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Online Privacy Statement.
How We Use Personal Information
We use personal information collected online for business purposes, including:
- Providing the functionality of Online Services and fulfilling our customers’ requests
- To respond to your request for a call, referral, or quote;
- To process transactions you request;
- To authenticate registered customers; and
- To develop, manage, analyze and improve the use of our Websites and our advertisements on other websites
- Providing you with marketing materials and to facilitate social sharing
- To inform you about products and services we offer which we believe may be of interest; and
- To provide you with personalized content when you visit our Websites
- Accomplishing our business purposes
- Data analysis, audits, developing and improving products and services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns, and enhancing, improving or modifying our services or Websites;
- To contact individuals in connection with existing transactions and contractual agreements;
- For risk management, fraud detection and prevention including “know your customer,” anti-money laundering, due diligence requirements, credit checks, compliance with sanction rules, fraud monitoring, and tax reporting;
- To comply with laws and regulations (including any legal or regulatory guidance, codes or opinions), and to comply with other legal process and law enforcement requirements;
- To protect the security of accounts and personal information;
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To provide you with online financial tools
How We Disclose Personal Information
We may disclose Personal Information collected online to:
- The Prudential family of affiliated companies
- A Prudential agent or an independent financial professional to provide you with a policy quotation or other information regarding insurance and financial service products
- Third parties as permitted or required by law, for example:
- Vendors that provide service to us
- Law enforcement authorities
- Credit bureaus
- For participants of Prudential Retirement Plans and/or Prudential Group Insurance policies, upon the request of your employer or plan sponsor, we may disclose site visit data to your employer or plan sponsor or a subcontractor working for your employer or plan sponsor regarding your use of our websites.
We also collect other information (“Other Information”) about visitors to our Websites. Other Information we may collect includes:
- The number of visitors to our site
- The pages visited on our site
- The features used
- How long a visitor stays
- The domain name of the site from which visitors connect to our site
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your identity
We may also collect Other Information when you download and use an App. We may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of other ways, including: through a browser or device; using cookies, pixel tags or other similar technologies; and through IP addresses.
A cookie is a small piece of information that a website can send to your browser and may then be stored on your computer's hard drive. It acts as an anonymous tag that identifies your computer, but not you personally. Cookies have the ability to store information about web pages viewed and the advertisements viewed or clicked. For registered customers, cookies can also save user information and screen preferences.
A pixel tag, also known as a clear GIF or web beacon, is an invisible tag placed on certain pages of our Websites but not on your computer. When you access these pages, pixel tags generate a generic notice of that visit. They usually work in conjunction with cookies, registering when a particular device visits a particular page. If you turn off cookies, the pixel tag will simply detect an anonymous website visit.
We collect information from cookies and pixel tags to evaluate responses to surveys and our advertisements on other websites and to provide you with specific or relevant content such as articles and educational material when you visit our Websites.
We participate in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Co-op to better understand how you use our website and apps across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored promotions. Learn more about privacy at Adobe by clicking here https://cross-device-privacy.adobe.com.
We also collect information through emails. From time to time, we may send you emails about our products and services. Prudential and third parties with which we contract may collect information regarding your interaction with these emails, including whether you opened the email, how long you viewed the email, and whether you opened any links in the email.
To access online information about your Prudential account, you may register for access through https://www.prudential.com/clientenroll. We may collect information that you voluntarily provide on this site. If you don't want to give us this information via the Internet, you may call the following for service:
- 1-800-PRU-HELP (778-4357)
- The telephone number associated with the particular online form
- Your Prudential representative
We may also supplement the information we collect from you with information we receive from other sources. We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as personal information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose personal information as detailed in this Statement. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with personal information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as personal information as long as it is combined.
How We Protect Your Information
Prudential seeks to use reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards and other security measures to protect personal information within our organization from growing threats. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
Privacy Protection Policy
Children's Privacy Online
Our websites are not directed toward children. We do not knowingly collect or post information from children under the age of 13. You can learn more about children's privacy and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) at the Federal Trade Commission's website at http://www.ftc.gov.
This Online Privacy Statement is effective as of September 2018. We reserve the right to change this statement at any time. If we change it, we will post the current privacy statement on the websites and the Privacy Center page. Any changes to this statement will be effective as of the day they are posted. Use of Online Services following these changes signifies acceptance of the revised Online Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions about this Online Privacy Statement, please email us at Global.Privacy@Prudential.com or call 1-800-PRU-HELP (778-4357).